Play Protect and Installation Error!

App review says “The unsafe warning of play protect and installation error (-22) occurs when installing app”.

Im not so sure, how Samsung Seller Portal has to do anything with Google Play? Also, how do I fix such issue so the Play Protect allows the installation.
Thank you.

1 Like

Can you be more specific on what this is about. I assume that this is a reaction to App Review process but am not sure.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the replay. Yes, as I am quoting it above, that App Review Team Says.

They reviewed my app, it was approved and ready for sale on Samsung Galaxy Store. After a week or so, another Review Team come back to my inbox e-mail with a short video which referred about the Play Protect.

For example, I have to submit an appeal to Google Play review team. https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/protectappeals

It doesn’t make any sense, but it is true.
However, I already submitted an appeal and attached to them the .apk file, already gone two weeks now. Google Play Team Review, has never replayed.

Now that’s my question. Why should a Samsung Developer has to interact with Google Play App review Team, when itself Samsung Store Seller has its own Review Team.

1 Like

Play Protect is built into All Android devices someone could disable it in the Play Store settings but that would be a bad user experience unless it was for beta testing.

I saw one other report of this in stackoverflow and it was a setting.

We’ll need information . Can you open a support request and ask that Ron be copied.

Ron

Hi Ron,
Thank you for the reply and the help.
True, anyone can disable it but review team couldn’t.
It is a full app, not beta testing.
Will contact them and include you as reference, thanks again.

Lauran

Since the report was after your app was released. A user may have complained. Sorry I don’t know much about Android App Signing or if you need both that and Samsung certificates.

I’m interested in how this turns out… I’m sorry I’m not of more help with mobile development.

Ron

Hi Ron,
Still trying to make it happen, if there is a solution, I will get back in here and let you all know.
Thank you for your help.

Lauran

I’m facing this error, too. Do you find out a solution?

Hello nt.studio,
Sorry, I don’t have a solution.
I just gave up on it.

Lauran

1 Like

Hi Lauran,
I am working with other developers to address similar installation issues. I would like to look into this. Can you please open a support request (https://developer.samsung.com/support) so we can start investigating.

Hi @GabyRojas , I am facing same problem, please let me know what could be done to remove this Play Protect warning. should I submit signed apk or debug apk on samsung seller portal?

App was published earlier on play store. About package name as I understood from details, I changed package name and generated new signed apk.

Thanks

As Gaby said,

Can you please open a support request (https://developer.samsung.com/support ) so we can start investigating.

Ron

Here’s a solution to your question.

I went through the same thing because I lost my Keystore file and I created another one but had to terminate all my apps on Samsung Seller Portal so that I can use the new Keystore file for update on my apps.

So the review team rejected my app because of the same issue, then I had to file an appeal stating that my app is malware free, so the review team directed me here “App verification & appeals - Play Console Help” but when ever I upload my apk, they reply me with “We were unable to download the APK file from the link you provided. Please submit a new appeal and make sure that the link is publicly browsable.” But after deep searching the web I found a way around.

Please follow the below steps so that Play Protect will remove the warnings from your app when installing.

• First visit App verification & appeals - Play Console Help
  • Fill in the details asked then before uploading your APK file.
  • Upload your APK file into a Dropbox, copy the Dropbox link, paste the Dropbox link into either a note editor and change the last number of the link from 0 to 1.
    Goto bit.ly to shrink the link.
  • Then paste your APK bit.ly into the Play Protect appeal form.
  • Just holdon for a day or two, then try installing your release APK on your phone and see if Play Protect still pops up.
3 Likes

Hi, it’s been more than a week since I filed the appeal and I still haven’t heard from them and the play protect warning is still showing.

1 Like

contact Samsung Developer Support via a support request. They have experience with this.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Still experiencing this issue. Although it’s just an issue with the way Google handles third party apps/stores in general that we receive this error that has our exclusive Samsung apps rejected during a review test in the first place.

A couple years ago the appeal form took a day or two to resolve, however it’s no longer the case and may take longer.

Play protect is looking for the app name/data on Google’s app database and flagging even if there isn’t anything malicious about the app because it cannot find it.

Another solution, I also noticed that by uploading the app on Google Play store first, then Samsung apps, the error doesn’t appear. May not be ideal, but it works to pass review

I just experienced the same issue and my thoughts are the same!!! How is Google Play Protect got anything to do with Samsung’s review???

AND the most important thing here is; I tried downloading my app from Play Store, and it wasn’t even flagged as ‘blocked by play protect’! In fact, I downloaded it and screenshot the page, showing that my app was ‘verified by play protect’! Perhaps the Samsung developers need to update their Google Play Store before installing?? Not sure. Awaiting their reply.

My understanding is this happens when the uploader does not have the correct settings. Contact Developer Support and they can help you get your app approved.

Ron

I am facing the same issue here… any final solution? Thanks!

Hi Dect.

Oh My, I think we should pay you to write a blog how to overcome all the problems. The problem with Play Protect is it is on every mobile device and since you didn’t upload to play store it is rejected when we review it.
Apparently this is not uncommon and support can help you configure it right to avoid the Play Protect error. Ask them for help on the companion signing at the same time.

Ron

1 Like