Play Store issue: no "watch face tag"

Today Download button has apppeared which was missing on 2 latest watchfaces made by me. Please check your new watchfaces.

The watchfaces tags except personalization are still missing. But at least people can download it now. Lets hope they solve this tag issue also soon.

Can confirm, install buttons appeared today, without the watch face tag.

I’ve created support request yesterday with a long explanation. Hard to say if that helped or if it was just coincidence :grinning:

1 Like

Every comment and reply to them matters .

We should keep emailing them so they know its their fault not ours :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Catherina posted in her note about WFS 1.4 19 that they were working with Play Store on issues. If this isn’t resolved in a few weeks remind me again.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

I’m new to Watch Face creating. Would you, guys, explain what is the deal with this this issue? What is this drop down menu, that should appear and for what reason?

Thanks

It is when you publish an app in Play Store in the Play Store Console. If you are just designing for your self right now you don’t need to worry about this.

The issue is that Play Store seems to change policy or the way things are done or just doesn’t work right quite often.

I think all is working correctly now.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Unfortunately it is not.
“Watch face” tags are still missing on watch faces created after May 19th, and the install button for watch device is again missing for the latest watch faces.

I’ve released a new face 5 days ago, and in Play Store mobile app there’s still no option to install on watch, only phone and tablet.
No need to mention that the “Watch face” tag is missing also, but the lack of option to install on watch device is an even bigger issue.

Why oh why did Samsung partner with Google.

I really don’t get it, what does wear OS offer that Tizen did not do 10x better. Samsung has in my opinion the best hardware out there, but the experience now feels limited and so frustrating. The Play store was never made for watches. If you browse on there, you get shown about 15 faces in obscure categories and that is it, not to mention the illegal clones of watch brands that dominate the top spots.

Now even the heart rate is not being shown properly on the new version. Something so basic that we have to explain to the customers, to open the heart rate, manually get a reading and it will eventually show on the watch face.

And I am not blaming the guys in here working really hard on making the software. The software is great and we would be nowhere without it. But it seems like it is being held back and limited to cater to every ancient piece of hardware that might have a version of wear OS on there now.

Samsung should really get to a point now and tell Google that this is not working and they need to take back control of their software. Or at least the way people can buy and install it.

3 Likes

New features in WFS are great, and I’m really grateful to the team behind it. Sure, small bugs are to be expected (especially with big changes like Wear OS 4) and usually aren’t a big deal, especially when they’re resolved relatively quickly.

The biggest and the most serious issues are directly caused by the Play Store or Play Console (or both).
Amazingly, they’re the most elementary things, like users being unable to simply install the watch face without having to face some new and ridiculous issues every other month, and jump through hoops to get it working.

Over 90% of negative reviews I’ve received on Play Store come from users being unable to, or just not knowing how to install a watch face, and I can’t really blame them. The process is anything but intuitive, and Google is the one who needs to make it simple for the end user. Samsung really never had such issue in Galaxy Store.
The most frustrating part is that we’re the ones to blame in user’s eyes - we have to suffer low ratings because of Google’s inability to make the installation process easier, or at least bug-free.

My goodness it’s been almost 2 years since the switch from Tizen to Wear OS, and while the WFS has advanced greatly, the experience in Play Store (both for Wear OS devs and users) has only gotten worse.
Come on Google, get your stuff together!

6 Likes

Totally agree. During these 2 years I’ve also seen several users leave Wear OS… I’ve stayed in touch with some for friendship and sometimes they ask me if things have improved… My answer is obvious. I already have a “thrown in the towel” part. Too much stress, too many issues that have become intolerable after 2 years of patience and sacrifices.
No incentive to work like this way. Always respond to negative feedback for issues beyond your control.
They have to start from scratch because Play Store is a total mess.

Obviously no complaints for the Samsung team who always did a great job.

4 Likes

Honestly, all these issues are the reason why, despite having a developers account, I haven’t released a single watchface yet, despite having many designs ready. It’s just not worth the headache and stress.

2 Likes

Hi. Did you use 1.3.13 or 1.4.19?
1.4.19 builds currently result in the loss of the ‘watch face’ tag

I don’t plan on updating or releasing anything new with the 1.4.19 version until Wear OS 4 is fully available.
No need to give users additional reasons for bad reviews. :sweat_smile:

Building in 1.3.13 definitely still results in missing “watch face” tag, as it did before.
I think this issue has less to do with WFS and which version is used, and more with the Play Store itself.

As Google “Support” responded multiple times to many of my reports regarding the missing tags (with this same copy/paste response):
“We cannot guarantee any tags selected in Play Console will be shown other than the Store Category. An algorithm decides what tags to show/not show.”.

1 Like

I saw watchface tag appear on all 3x watchfaces that i published in last 10 days. These were not there three days back when i last checked. The last one i published yesterday still doesnt have download button and watchface tag yet.

I have made all these in WFS 1.3.13

1 Like

The device selection is also missing. Publication of the watchface on June 15, 2023.

1 Like

its been 6 days it got published my last watchface i mentioned in previous post. Watchface tag appeared yestrday

But Device selction or download button is still missing. Google at its best to mess things.

2 Likes

I think for me this is it, throwing in the towel, what has been a business since 2017 and a full time one since 2019 is no longer sustainable at all. At least the Wear OS part. So looking to the future it’s best to face facts.

The Play store is not equipped for this and 2 years on it hasn’t improved at all.

Good luck to those still grinding, I hope it changes.

I wish Samsung would take control of the store for our sakes and the customers, but that also seems like a pipedream.

Anyway. Good luck to all.

4 Likes

The sad fact is that the developers/designers currently have their mood and enthusiasm reduced to a minimum and this is also reflected in the end users.

Google should first start removing all those bad reviews we’ve gotten and are getting because of them.

6 Likes

After almost a week of release, the device selection for my watchface is still not there … :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Their Approval method is so good that a watchface is being rejected just now for me on a description mistake of a shortcut. But bringing install button selection or watch face tag for them takes weeks :laughing:

i sent an update without making any changes and fixed the description. I uploaded new aab bundle because i know if i don’t do that it will take them week to fix to notice the rejection. where as when it is mistake at our end they appear like a supernatural jinny and in hours reject it.

They can reject in hours but cant add watch tag or fix install selection button bug in weeks this is disgusting. Which is a 100 percent their fault.

1 Like