Run On Device - problem

Hello!

Some time ago I found out about the Watch Face Studio app, which allows you to create your own watch face.
Everything is great, I have created a dozen custom watch faces for myself and the problem arises when I want to display the face on my GW4… I’ve tried everything, debugging via BT, debugging via Wi-Fi (including cmd.exe - here the smartwatch is indicated as connected while it does not appear in the WFS app.
If there is any solution to this problem then please help and thank you in advance.

Greetings!

Be sure you have the latest version of WFS 1.1.19 there was a bug in 1.1.12 version where you had to restart WFS after the first time Run on Device (every time after boot up of the PC)

Select Run on Device and add your IP address one time to the search using + icon
Select Run on Device
It will show no Devices found
again click on the + and click on the IP address to the run on Device at that time your watch will ask if you want to allow debugging. click yes If you don’t OK that in a 15 or so seconds it goes away and then doesn’t ask again unless you close and restart debugging
Your watch will show in the run on devices click on it.

By the way I’ve never been able to debug via bluetooth when I ask support they give me instructions that are not applicable to my Galaxy Watch4.

here is more how to do it
Your watch and computer need to be connected to the same WiFi network. Unplug or turn off the Ethernet adaptor if you have your computer connected by Ethernet
You cannot have Firewalls or VPN enabled.

Enable developer options on your watch, and within those options, enable ADB debugging, and select debug over WiFi(it may take time to connect it took me about a minute before it shows the connection).
Allow the permissions as the watch requests them.
Go to Connections and write down the IP address your router assigns to your watch.
add that when you run on device in the + dialog…

If it doesn’t

Using File manager copy the address where you installed adb by default
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window
(copy the address as text from file manger using right click on the address bar)
Open a command prompt
navigate to the folder address
cd C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window
Then type
adb connect 192.168.x.x:5555 (where 192.168.x.x is your watch’s IP address).
It may take a minute to connect or give a failure response
If you get a rejected error or something check your watch debugger settings.
Try in developer options to revoked permissions and force new acceptance. do the connect again.

select “run on device” within Watch Face Studio, your watch should show up.

If it connects but will not run on device create a new keystore in a new keystore folder

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I checked all the options you mentioned and still nothing about loading the clock face from within WFStudio…
I did try to install the watch face using cmd.exe and “adb install [name of apk]” and as strange as it may seem, the face I designed appears on the watch and works as it should. :smiley:

1 Like

That is basically what Run on Device does except it does an OPR test first. Once you ran it with command prompt try to run it again with WFS and see if it works then.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

No change, still the smartwatch remains unseen in the Run on Device option.

No change, still the smartwatch remains unseen in the Run on Device option.

Just to get this correct.
On your watch you open Settings → Developer Options → ADB Debugging On
scroll down to Debug over WiFi it says not connected for a few seconds then is connected and the last line is your IP Address and among other things shows
in WFS
You click Run on Device.
It checks OPR
It does scan for devices
It shows No Compatible Devices
you click on the + icon
your Watches IP address is there already (if not you need to enter it) Click OK
Allow Debugging dialog pops up on your watch immediately after that Tap OK
Your device should now show in WFS click on it
Run on Device starts.

If that doesn’t work but it does allow you to sideload it manually And you have the latest version of WFS I"m stumped.

Ron

1 Like

I wanted to thank you for this great tutorial. Now I’m happily using WFS!

I got a watch5 pro this afternoon, was attempting to run it from my laptop using watch face studio, put watch into developer mode, and followed all the steps and it just was not picking up the phone at all. Nor was it allowing me to debug over wifi (was saying it was unavalible even though it was toggled to on.) Anyhoo in the end i turned the watch off… turned it back on, and this time in developer options it actually gave me the ip address in the debug over wifi option. I first entered the ip into the watch face studio prompt when running on device including the:5555 and it did not work, so i removed the :5555 and bobs your uncle it worked. And now i am happyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Whilst im here… hello all watch face developers. !!!

Hello if you pc have 5ghz wifi try to connect pc with 5ghz and the watch with 2.4ghz.

Welcome to Watch Face Designing if you need assistance and don’t see what you want in a search be sure to ask. This group is very helpful to each other.

Ron

1 Like

Hi all, apologies for resurecting the thread, when I tap Settings->Developer options on my watch, only two options are available: “On Pixel ratio” and “Turn off developer mode”. The watch is
Galaxy Watch EA5E, Model SM-R800, under software One UI Watch version 2.0, Tizen version 5.5.0.2, Knox 2.5.0, SE for Tizen 2.0.0, TIMA 3.0.0.
Entering IP address isn’t helping.
Please advise, Thank you

Hello,
Welcome to this forum. You are using Tizen watch, this forum is for Wear OS watches. Please create your issue in this Galaxy Watch Studio for Tizen forum.

2 Likes

Here we go again - updated my watch this morning now when I try to connect in Watch Face Studio it says “Failed to pair device.” Everything is set correctly as always. What’s up? Did Samsung screw it up with the update??

Hi, retry again usually wifi drop out. But when i try again it works… at most when this happens trying at most another 2 times it works…

And another thing to make it more stable is i turn off bluetooth or put watch on chargers.

There some wifi time out thingy

Ill give it a try and see what happens.

WAIT for some reasons it may keep on trying and actually pair after a half minute or so.

Also there is a OK this device button you have to click on before it will connect for debugging

In the ADB settings is Vibrate on Connectivity change turn that on.

Ron

Thanks but tried most of that and no joy.

@rog1598215254

Since this worked before I can assume that it isn’t firewall or network error on the computer side.

Go to your Developer Options ADB debugging then scroll down and revoke debugging authorizations

Now try it That should force the add device option for debugging. Remember the first time it takes a while for the connection to happen The run on window will say no devices but once you click OK it pops up without doing a second search

Ron

OK, that worked. But it isn’t putting my watch face over properly. I get an icon rather than ‘fancy words’ for day/date. It should show just the day and date in custom font. But I’ll work on that and see what the deal it.

Thanks for the help. Again! I think revoking debugging authorization was the key, for whatever reason.

You may have to remove the type complication layouts to force the one you want. But there are several reports of complications not looking the same with Wear 4 as they did in the older Galaxy Watches.

Ron