Sharing Tutorials & Inspiration

Hi Samsung Devs,

I have recently started sharing small tutorials every now and then in form of bitesized IGTV episodes. The idea is to help and inspire people to create even better products. The tutorials are targeted towards semi-professionals & creative professionals that want to get more advanced with their tools as well as to give people an insight in what techniques me and my company uses to create our digital products.

I also want to ask the community if there is anything special you would like to see in this format? Could be anything from creative process to tips and tricks with the tools we use, code or anything else you are curious about. Would be great to know as I’m planning to record more tutorials as time goes.

Tutorials:
After Effects tutorial - Linked Animation With Time Offset

After Effects tutorial - Loop (bonus)

After Effects tutorial - Looping animation

After effects tutorial - Wiggle (bonus)

After Effects tutorial - Wiggle

Making of / breakdowns of watch faces:
Cranium (memento mori) - Making of / Breakdown

Geomatrix - Making of / Breakdown

So, I’m Mike, the founder and director at MADE By Lundahl. Even though my company only has 2 watch faces currently in the store (with a 3rd on its way, hopefully released end of may depending on how things goes), have close to 20 years of experience creating & designing different digital products professionally, ranging from games to apps & web development and now also big focus on Samsung Wearables.

I posted it here on the Galaxy Watch sections since that’s what I’m heavily focused on. Let me know if this is inappropriate or if this should go elsewhere.

Sincerely,
Mike
MADE By Lundahl

Finally a new video is up! :watch:

Now making an effort to create content more suited for YouTube, I went in and recorded a video showing some of the process for designing a watch face. From rough sketch to a final render. This is a video cut down from 6 hours to 40 minutes. It’s a concept project and made just for sharing some of my process. What it doesn’t include is the market research, any software engineering, testing on actual device etc. It’s more about the creative process.

The video takes you through design and idea exploration in Adobe Illustrator, 3D modeling and rendering in Blender and final touches in Adobe Photoshop.

YouTube is a new effort so if you like it feel free to give it a thumbs up and subscribe.
All the tutorials and other videos originally posted on IGTV is now also available on YouTube.

/Mike

1 Like

Very interesting seeing your design process.

As a non-artistic coder it’s always fascinating seeing how good Blender etc are when you know how to use them. I keep having a go but rarely get far.

1 Like

Very interesting seeing your design process.

As a non-artistic coder it’s always fascinating seeing how good Blender etc are when you know how to use them. I keep having a go but rarely get far.

Thanks, glad you find it interesting!

Yeah, Blender has come a long way. I remember back in the days when I used to work in the games & VFX industry, I would never touch anything besides Maya or 3D studio Max ( RIP Softimage /XSI ) . And most people (sadly me included, I was young and gave in to the hype) looked down on Blender.

Today, that’s 100% opposite for me. Blender has matured so much and I struggle to find any reason to touch any other 3D software (if you aren’t a big studio with deep pockets). It’s crazy that I get so much software for free! Grateful to the people that continue to develop and make it better.

Btw… I created some small scripts for blender that helped me some. I’m sharing these for free if you want to try them out. These don’t have any gui, so I would only suggest these scripts to people that at least know a little python (enough to understand how to use it in your own projects)

Find the blender scripts here with videos
Here’s a couple as an example

Blender definitely has come a long way. It was pretty horrible initially.

I’m still in the games industry, just a small studio but we are moving the artists towards Blender rather than 3DS Max or Maya. It does everything we need now.