Wear OS Watch Faces on Samsung Galaxy Store

Android is not Tizen, mobiles are not wearables and updates are not support.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations.

3 Likes

So wait, because maybe I missed it…so are we saying all the watch faces I bought from developers thru Samsung for my previous galaxy watches will NOT be available for the galaxy 4, which I just received?

(Those watch faces on the playstore are a complete joke!)

So do we get reimbursed for the previous purchases we can no longer use?

So wait, because maybe I missed it…so are we saying all the watch faces I bought from developers thru Samsung for my previous galaxy watches will NOT be available for the galaxy 4, which I just received?

Correct. We have provided some basic tools to port the old watch designs to the new OS but it has limitations. Whether your designer will or will not convert them is up to them.

So do we get reimbursed for the previous purchases we can no longer use?

That is what you get with personaliztion.

This is probably not the right forum for these comments but I know the designers care about the customers so I’ve allowed it. Unless it gets out of hand.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

What would be the proper forum sir so
I can reach out there. Thank you for your time and response sir.

Also, and my apologies if I missed it, what would be, and where can I find, the “basic tools” to port the old watch designs that you mentioned in your earlier response to my comments? Please and thank you.

here you go:

:grin:

1 Like

Hello,
you can port the watch faces to new format only if you made them, or at least own the source .gwd files.
If you just bought and installed them from galaxy store, then no tool will convert them on your side.

2 Likes

You probably should reach out to the watch face designer via store feedback and ask them to convert a watch face for you.

You can try at https://www.samsung.com → Click on Explore Tab → Click on Community I don’t know how much good it will do.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like

that is a good idea, but that watchface developer would also need to have a commercial google play store account for that to be even possible :grin:

I’m a little confused. What happens to all the coupons that are given away for the Play Store?
As an example: I have made 100 coupons available for one of my watch faces. Up to now (Sept. 14th) 93 coupons have been used, but according to the Play Store only 5+ downloads have been made.
It is similar with my other previously published WFs.
Reviews don’t seem to have been given either.
What’s going on there? How should you be able to gain a foothold there?

1 Like

Кто может нарисовать сложный циферблат под заказ? или можете посоветовать контакт или ресурс где можно заказать его? кто может помочь ?

I think they just redeem the coupon, so they can install it later. Redeem the coupon doesn’t mean they will install it. maybe later.

1 Like

I’m not a developer (yet) but a consumer that has recently bought a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic LTE. My previous watch was an original Galaxy Watch 4G running Tizen.

When I first had a look to see how many watch faces were available to download for my Watch 4 Classic I was surprised and a bit disappointed. There are some nice included Samsung watch faces to choose in the Galaxy Wearable app including some I recognise from Tizen watches that have clearly been ported by Samsung which is good. But then following the link from the Galaxy Wearable app to the Play Store to download more watch faces I can see about 40 in total. A far cry from the 1000+ available in the Galaxy Store for Tizen watches. There were lots of different categories in the Galaxy Store each with 100s of watch faces in them, including some premium designers that had a range of different faces.

Is this normal to only see about 40 total faces available for Wear OS? Wear OS has been around for years so I would’ve expected a decent amount of watch faces to have been released by developers. I know that some of those entries in the Play Store Watch Faces section are apps like Facer that have 1000s of faces available in them so I’m sure I’ll be able to find some faces I like in those apps. But I’m still surprised to see so few individually listed watch faces.

I’ve read about the conversion tool in this thread that allows developers to convert Tizen faces to Wear OS so also surprising that I don’t see the same ranges of faces from the premium developers I saw in the Galaxy Store. Maybe those developers indeed don’t want to have to go through the hassle of selling through the Play Store too.

I’ve also read an article from a reviewer that encountered difficulty with watch faces from apps like Facer on the Galaxy Watch 4, if they were faces that included health monitoring features; the reviewer believes the problem is due to Facer etc. faces on Wear OS being setup to use Google Fit as the source of health metrics. If this is true then that makes the lack of indivudally listed faces even more disappointing, at least until bugs like that are worked out.

I would really have expected Samsung to have made more of an effort ensuring developers of Tizen watch faces would make those faces available to Galaxy Watch 4 - yes there is this conversion tool but no developers seem to have used it and then made their faces available on the Play Store.

2 Likes

The problem here is the play store himself. Googles play store is optimized for smartphone apps with many categories and so on. And exactly the same we need for the watch devices. Instead of this, watch apps are just a small category inside there complex smartphone app platform. That’s it. … When they not change it in long term … Wear OS will not make any step forward. But i am sure they will change it in the future. Everything else would make no sense. Maybe we have to wait until they finalize there own watch. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It is counterproductive to search for the watch faces using the wearable app. The better way is to search for these directly on Google Play. This works best with a PC or laptop. If you use the Mobile Google Play app, you still have to enter search terms such as “Watch Face” and / or Galaxy Watch 4. Then press the field “Smart Watch” and possibly “dials” to get better results. This is the only way you will really find what you are looking for. I know it’s awkward, but it’s not our fault. It’s annoying when I upload my Watch Faces and find them difficult at first. That definitely needs to be improved.

I think there are many problems regarding that, the first of those is that the converters do not work well and do not convert all the parts and functions, which forces you to reassemble the face in the new software, which is a half-finished Facer , which lacks many tools, functionalities and compatibility, making it preferable to go to design in Facer. on the other hand you have to compete against this application which has many more faces and is more organized. on the other side of the problem you have that the faces that you make for Android only work with that watch there is no other device that supports it therefore your sales audience will only be people with that watch, what by the way, another part of the problem is that the clock costs in some countries what would be equivalent to the amount of materials needed to make the foundations of a house. For this reason, many designers see as buyers people who buy the watch only because it is new and not because of the variety of content it offers, which takes away its potential. You also have to consider the fact that to publish in the Google store you have to make a conversion of the application that comes out in another format to APK or app, in addition to that you have to pay a developer account … I think those things They take away the attractiveness of many designers and that is why they are opening the umbrella to other stores of other devices, and I think that is why you do not see so much, also if you look at the forum you will see many errors and limitations consulted regarding the new software and clock … that is my personal analysis, which may be wrong, but I think that’s where the hand comes

1 Like

How will the fact that new Tizen-based watchface apps in Galaxy Store will soon be discontinued affect the Galaxy Store Watch Face Service Pledge (4-(ii) registering at least 1 new content or 1 new update every three (3) months.)? Will registering new content/updates on the Play Store count?

The items sold on Play Store will not count.
While you can still update your content. I’ll see if the activity is still required. I’ll suggest that they use the rule that applies to Android app, that is content has to be updated in the past 3 years.

Ron

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. Let’s see what the feedback is.

@MuhammadBemath_Apps

The seller portal said that they are going to be very flexible for current sellers and would give anyone that was inactive a 2 week heads up so they could update an app before it was suspended.

Ron